Assisi, Young people “Pact for the Economy” with Pope Francis
An economy for peace, to replace the economy for war: this is the indication that Pope Francis gave to the young people gathered in Assisi
And from that indication, so necessary, a pact was born, which was signed and which will serve as a beacon for the coming years.
Assisi, the text of the “Pact for the Economy”
We, young economists, entrepreneurs, and changemakers, called here to Assisi from every part of the world, aware of the responsibility that rests on our generation, commit ourselves today, individually and all collectively to spending our lives so that the economy of today and tomorrow becomes an economy of the Gospel, and therefore:
- an economy of peace and not of war,
- an economy that opposes the proliferation of arms, especially the most destructive, an economy that cares for creation and does not misuse it,
- an economy at the service of the human person, the family and life, respectful of every woman, man, and child, the elderly, and especially those most frail and vulnerable,
- an economy where care replaces rejection and indifference,
- an economy that leaves no one behind, in order to build a society in which the stones rejected by the dominant mentality become cornerstones,
- an economy that recognizes and protects secure and dignified work for everyone,
- an economy where finance is a friend and ally of the real economy and of labour and not against them,
- an economy that values and safeguards the cultures and traditions of peoples, all living things and the natural resources of the Earth,
- an economy that fights poverty in all its forms, reduces inequality and knows how to say with Jesus and Francis, “Blessed are the poor”,
- an economy guided by an ethics of the human person and open to transcendence,
- an economy that creates wealth for all, that engenders joy and not just riches, because happiness that is not shared is incomplete.
We believe in this economy.
It is not a utopia, because we are already building it.
And some of us, on particularly bright mornings, have already glimpsed the beginning of the promised land.
Assisi, 24 September 2022
The economists, entrepreneurs, changemakers, students, and workers
Assisi, The Full Speech Of Pope Francis To The Young People Of The Economy Of Francesco
Economy And Finance, Father Alex Zanotelli At The Festival Of The Mission: Rebel Through Boycott
Assisi, Pope Francis Enlightens The Young People Of The New Economy: “The Earth Is Burning Today, And It Is Today That We Must Act”
Economy Of Francesco, Over 1000 Economists Gathered In Assisi: “Sentinel, How Much Is Left Of The Night?”
World Day Of Prayer For The Care Of Creation, Pope Francis’ Appeal For The Earth
The Taliban’s Afghanistan: Paying The Bill For Barbarism Are Artists, Women, But Above All The Afghan People
The Courage Of Francis?: “It Is Meeting The Sultan To Tell Him: We Don’t Need You”
Sister Alessandra Smerilli On ‘Making Space For Courage’: Analysing The Existing Economic Model And Hope In Young People
Holy See, Pope Francis Confirms Trip To Bahrain From 3 To 6 November